Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Story of Us Part I

Some of you may not know much about how Scott and I met each other and ended up getting married, so here’s my side of how we met and fell in love.

The First Encounter: It was the day of our ward’s Halloween party, and my friend Jackie needed duct tape. This is what I call the ideal situation for romance. We went up to apartment 217 at Roman Gardens to get the tape because she had some friends (Scott and his roommate Jeremy) who would probably have that sort of thing. Once there, I was introduced and we stayed for a few minutes to chat with the boys. I am shy, and Scott seemed cool, so I didn’t say much of anything. Plus, I was dressed as Sleeping Beauty and looked like I was about 6 years old, so it wasn’t an ideal situation to meet men.

A Strange Phone Call: After a few months and a couple more casual run-ins with Scott, I got a phone call from him. No, he didn’t ask me on a date. He asked if I would give him some piano lessons. My first instinct was to say no. I thought I was too busy, and this was a weird request for someone who barely knew me. Thankfully for us, I have a really hard time saying no, especially if I am directly confronted, so we began piano lessons.

Piano Lessons & The Friend Phase: I’ve taught lessons for many years, and when I teach, I am down to business. I later found out that Scott just wanted to get to know me better, but I was convinced he wanted to learn Middle C Position. So, things went pretty slowly there as I drilled him on Linus & Lucy. We became friends though, and that lead to actually doing some fun things together. Scott gave me rides to church and picked me up on campus once or twice when I had late classes. I remember we even watched a movie at his apartment once…and he fell asleep on his separate couch. I’m surprised I didn’t know we were getting married right then and there. Haha.

Apartment Shopping: Scott knew I didn’t have a car, and he offered to take me apartment shopping with him, since I hadn’t signed a contract for the upcoming school year (you have to do this really far in advance in Provo). The trip wasn’t too successful for me. We drove around and looked at some ghetto places in my price range, and decided to head home. Scott saw a nice complex on the way back and thought we should at least check it out. We knocked on a random door, asking if we could look around. This was our conversation: “So, how much is rent here?” “It’s $650.” “Wow, that’s kind of expensive. How many people live here?” “Just me and my husband.” “Oh. …. …. …. Ok, thanks!” We quickly left the apartment, and I laughed really hard. We had no idea that we were investigating married housing together. That = some hilarious foreshadowing.

3 comments:

  1. I remember when you went apartment shopping... and I was like, "You are sooo going to get married!" haha... I was right! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay that's even better than the version you told at your shower. That's one of the best "how we met" stories ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha yes I'm in it! Life Goal is complete.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About Us

My photo
We enjoy otter pops, vacations, intense board games, house projects, breakfasts together, ridiculous TV shows, analysis of ridiculous TV shows, budgeting, and each other.

Check out my recipe blog!