Saturday, August 13, 2011

How I Handle Football Season

Some people are starting to get excited about a certain sport that happens in the fall at BYU, and my husband is definitely one of these people. (In case you are not among these fans, I'll be a little more clear--the sport I'm talking about is football.) Oh boy. This proves to be a trying time for me because football has never been my thing. Yes, it’s true that I did have an All-Sports Pass at one point, and I went to most of those games for an entire season. It’s also true that I spent the majority of those games learning to play “I Am a Child of God” on my rape whistle. I know. I am a bad fan.

I’m determined that this year will be different. So, I’m beginning to brainstorm different ways to have a better attitude about this and make football more enjoyable since, goodness knows, the games will be on at our house.

Here are my ideas:

Approach #1: When Scott is reading up on the latest BYU football news, I’ll occasionally ask what he’s reading about. I figure that when we have people over to watch the games, I can casually bring these things up in conversation; and people will think I’m very knowledgeable. This could be fun. “Hey did you hear that Brandon Doman yelled at his players in practice on August 6th? Yeah, I think that did the trick.” (Did what trick, you may ask? I don’t know, but some journalist thought this yelling was necessary and worth writing a full article about.) Here’s another good one: “Remember when Bronco had the team practice indoors, just to ‘shake things up’? Isn’t he the best coach ever?” (Once again, a full article about this.)

Approach #2: Embrace the celebration aspect of football games and focus on the par-tay. I am envisioning a lot of football-shaped treats (oh the possibilities) and BYU get-up. I think some cookie dough, blue eyeliner, and a couple spirit shirts could make this happen. Or maybe I’ll just learn how to play the fight song on my violin and perform after each touchdown! Yes?!?...Anyone?

If these approaches fail, I will have to turn to the backup plan: Embrace my inner cougar and actually figure out why people like football so much. Bahahahaha…

3 comments:

  1. Various football-shaped treats + catchy tunes played on a violin = PARTY. Can I watch a game with you guys? Haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Done Michael. I have a piano, so I expect you to come up with a victory musical number as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to come too. We can play the rape whistles in harmony! Well, there are only like 3 notes...so maybe unison will have to do. Gosh, we haven't practiced in a loooooooooooong time.

    "WHOSE SOCKS ARE THESE?!"

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About Us

My photo
We enjoy otter pops, vacations, intense board games, house projects, breakfasts together, ridiculous TV shows, analysis of ridiculous TV shows, budgeting, and each other.

Check out my recipe blog!