Tuesday, January 3, 2017

The Holidays 2016










The Christmas season this year was...probably not the year to top all years, I will put it that way.  The weeks leading up to the holiday were kind of normal-- a mix of the busy season at work, holiday parties, gift shopping, the works.  Unfortunately Ivy was sick with multiple illnesses for most of December though, and Scott, in true Scott-holiday-fashion got the stomach flu again this year.  I'm pretty sure there is an 80% chance Scott will get the flu during the week between Christmas and New Years.  It is a proven science.  

Anyway, back to Christmas.  We planned to travel to Texas on Christmas day.  Throughout the weeks leading up to the trip I lost even more sleep than normal thinking about this endeavor.  I love visiting the Foley's; but I don't take Ivy to the grocery store, so the thought of taking her to another state made me queasy.  I may or may not have asked Scott to cancel this trip on multiple occasions.  Ha.  Well, the day came, and it turns out I was kind of right to fear this so much.  

In the morning, we woke up to a ton of snow.  We had to get up a little early, but it tuns out Ivy would've woken us up anyway so I just hung on to that small reality (like it was going to comfort me?...) as a sleep-walked through the house getting stuff ready.  We fed the hungry Ivy, and then we went out to do some snow removal.  I was only outside for a few minutes when I came back in to check on our babe.  Lo-and-behold, I found her on the floor, totally still, her body face-down on her bedroom rug....  It turns out she had just decided to go to sleep again, even though she's never done that on the floor with the lights on, surrounded by toys.  I, however, had no idea that was what she was doing, and it was a truly terrible 2 seconds.  Right after this, Scott came inside.  I was very upset and couldn't communicate well, which meant he also had to experience the terror as he ran upstairs trying to find out what had happened.  Worst Christmas morning ever, aside from something like this actually happening, of course.

After this episode, we had about 2 minutes til the cab driver showed up, so we recovered.  I warmed up the Christmas breakfast of your dreams: Toaster Strudels and we ate them on the way to the airport.  It was very snowy on the drive there, and we almost missed the exit entirely.  When we got there, I noticed a sketchy syringe on Scott's seat so that was another little bonus to our day.  We washed our hands and hoped there was no drug screening at security.  

Of course, all the flights were delayed and that messed up our entire plan for Ivy to spend some of the flight peacefully asleep and/or eating.  Somehow we were able to avoid the multi-hour delays and get on another flight though.  We were the last to board and I'm sure the other passengers were thrilled to see Lady Ives waltz onto the aircraft at the last second.  It didn't go all that well, but it really could've been worse.  In the end, it was less eventful than the rest of the day, so there's some perspective for you.  I did manage to catch this snapshot during part of it, for the next time I need a good laugh and/or cry:



Once we finally arrived in Texas, of course our luggage was lost.  Also, there was a communication gap with the family and no one was there to get us.  We just sat outside really more surprised than anything that so many thing had gone wrong!  It was certainly a memorable Christmas. 

Aside from those few minor details, we had a pretty good trip. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Us

My photo
We enjoy otter pops, vacations, intense board games, house projects, breakfasts together, ridiculous TV shows, analysis of ridiculous TV shows, budgeting, and each other.

Check out my recipe blog!