Sunday, February 9, 2014

Recommended Reads

Does anyone else have a lot of time to read like me?  If so, maybe check out one of my recent reads and tell me what you think!

The Power of Habit (Charles Duhigg)
The best (and lamest) word to describe this book is: interesting.  Seriously, just so interesting.  I pretty much repeated the entire book to Scott after I read it, and that means it's good.  The book covers personal habits and habits in the workplace (it is a business book, so sorry if you think you don't like that sort of thing) and closes with some truly disturbing habits that I could have done without.  But!  This book comes to mind all the time, and that is great.

Quiet (Susan Cain)
There were things I didn't like about this one, but it did make me think and notice things about myself.  Yeah she may baby us introverts a little; but she has really good points, and I'll be thinking about some of these ideas for a while.  I feel more ok with my personality after reading this, and that's pretty cool.  Recommended for introverts mainly.

Edenbrooke (Julianne Donaldson)
We're delving into fluff with this one, but fluff is awesome, am I right?  The book's very Pride-&-Prejudice-esque sans social commentary.  It's a romance that you can read in two days, maybe even one.  In the words of Rebecca Black, "Fun fun fun fun."  Someone needs to make a movie of this so I can watch it next time I'm sick.

Make the Bread, Buy the Butter (Jennifer Reese)
I read mostly cooking blogs online (cooking blogs are one of like four things actually worth reading on the internet if you ask me), and this book was perfect for my tastes.  Jennifer talks about her journey learning to make things from scratch, and she's no faker.  She'll tell you when it's a total waste of time and money to do so.  After spending my life on Pinterest, the honesty here is refreshing.  I have no intention of curing my own meats, but I will take some of her other recipes and suggestions.

Is Everyone Hanging out Without Me? (Mindy Kahling)
Mindy is pretty darn funny.  This is a memoir about the life of our very own Kelly Kapoor.  My main takeaway was, "Wow I always assumed Mindy Kahling was just like Kelly Kapoor."  Her Irish exit story will never leave my mind, never.  I will also always enjoy that picture of her on the back cover.  Unfortunately I have to say this book had some language, so it can't get a full stamp of approval.

Any reading recommendations for me?

2 comments:

  1. I read a series a few years back about a young boy wizard named Harry. I'm pretty sure there were movies made also. Most of the books start with "Harry Potter and the..." Highly recommended.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About Us

My photo
We enjoy otter pops, vacations, intense board games, house projects, breakfasts together, ridiculous TV shows, analysis of ridiculous TV shows, budgeting, and each other.

Check out my recipe blog!