Wednesday, April 4, 2012

There's a Photo of Me and an Eggplant in Here

I have so many unanswered questions about eggplant.

Like, "What is it?"

Well, I sort of found out this week with some exciting cooking endeavors.  We had eggplant parm, zeppole, and a salad involving tomatillos.  Prior to this week, I didn't even know where to locate ingredients for some of these things in the grocery store.  Thankfully Winco has a large assortment of weird foods, and I found everything.

Here are my reviews:

1. Eggplant Parmesan:  I have no idea what eggplant is supposed to taste like, so I have no idea whether this was a success.  It tasted like...eggplant...maybe?  As far as average-bystander-dinner-eater tastes go, it was a pretty good meal though (plus it was oh-so-cheap).  Main advice: slice the eggplant super thin.

2. Zeppole: Holy smokes, I've been searching for this dessert ever since our stay in that 5-star hotel in Texas.  Thanks to Pinterest, it pretty much found me (I couldn't remember the name for the life of me).  The recipe was super easy; and if these weren't fried in oil, I'd eat them every day.  Main advice: dip in chocolate.

3. Tomatillos: I'm in the same situation with these as I am with eggplant.  Does anyone know what these are supposed to taste like?  We used them to make a Cafe Rio pork salad (as part of the dressing).  So, I guess you can't go wrong with Cafe Rio pork, and the tomatillos were, as far as I can tell, delectable.   Main advice: cook extra pork and don't tell your husband about how much cilantro he just ate. ;)

(Maybe someday buying eggplant will be less of a novelty for me...)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Us

My photo
We enjoy otter pops, vacations, intense board games, house projects, breakfasts together, ridiculous TV shows, analysis of ridiculous TV shows, budgeting, and each other.

Check out my recipe blog!