Friday, August 30, 2019

2019 Yard & Garden

We are at it again with the endless landscaping of our yard.

Someday I hope to stop landscaping this yard.  This year we planted our 10th, 11th, and 12th trees, so I think we're getting closer?  We also replanted a few rosebushes and raspberries, and so far they're all alive!

I also worked on another garden.  I'm slowly learning what to do (and not do) when it comes to keeping all these plants alive.  Unfortunately this is a slow learning process and sometimes you're just out an entire year when you mess something up.  I'm sure there are some lasting life lessons here, but it's overall kind of annoying.

For the Foley growing almanac...

This year we tried to do our own indoor sprouts.





Is there anything cuter than a toddler planting seeds?  Nope.

I didn't find any of our seedling plantings to be that successful.  Yes, they grew plants, but it was a lot of work and the yield wasn't great.  So I think I'm team starters in the future. Also I don't think I'll do broccoli again.  Not enough yield per plant.

As for the rest of the garden...

We battled squash bugs this year although I'm not sure that it really had much effect on the produce.  They're just icky in general though so that wasn't fun.

We had peas out our ears.  Waaaay too many.

I got very sick with the pregnancy around harvest time so that kind of put a damper on the final late-summer produce.  I didn't really want anything to do with it, so we just did our best to finish it all out.

And that's the 2019 garden!  I think my thoughts for next year (while it's sort of fresh) are:

Plant: tomato, zucchini, lots of spinach, peas, green beans, maybe corn, maybe strawberries. 

I'm still trying to decide what will or won't be too much work with a newborn so we'll see how it all goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Us

My photo
We enjoy otter pops, vacations, intense board games, house projects, breakfasts together, ridiculous TV shows, analysis of ridiculous TV shows, budgeting, and each other.

Check out my recipe blog!