Saturday, April 28, 2018

The Landscape

We're just about celebrating our 1-year anniversary in the "new" house, and we're also finally getting around to finishing up the landscaping.  Huzzah.

When we moved in, the yard was "finished," but that is a pretty loose term meaning, "it had grass."  I shouldn't complain because grass costs a million dollars, but it wasn't a very usable area unless your only aim was to walk on grass.

Luckily, Ivy loves plain old grass.



Also as a side note, every time Ivy wears this shirt, I just happen to break out my camera and take pictures of her.  Which means...it looks like she's been wearing this shirt for 6 straight months.  I don't know how this keeps happening!?  She has other shirts.

Anyway.

The rest of us would prefer some more yard intrigue beyond sod, so we've...

...planted 75 bulbs (so far--I will do more this fall in all the beds because bulbs are the greatest.)
...paid for cement curbing around the beds
...commissioned two garden planter boxes


...planted 7 or 8 rose bushes (I've honestly lost count)
...planted 4 flowering pear trees
...planted 1 peach tree
...planted 6 raspberry and blackberry bushes (they currently look like sticks so I'm interested to see how that pans out)
...removed the awesome flagstone formation in the back yard (why that existed is a mystery)

...poured a pretty stamped concrete patio
...stained our tiny deck

...put sod in the huge old garden area "aka the mud pit" and


...visited Lowes 142 times

It's been a process. 

Another separate process is figuring out how to keep all these living things alive.  We're generally ok with growing stuff, but last years' garden was just the worst garden ever planted by mankind, so I'm hoping the new one does better.  Better soil, better sun, better irrigation?  It just might do better.  Haha.  Heck, I even built pea trellises so this had better work out.  If those peas do not climb those strings, so help me.



Try to contain your excitement. I will be doing a garden post later this year with the climbing results.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Us

My photo
We enjoy otter pops, vacations, intense board games, house projects, breakfasts together, ridiculous TV shows, analysis of ridiculous TV shows, budgeting, and each other.

Check out my recipe blog!