Saturday, October 3, 2015

The Garden: Year 2

This morning I went out to document this year's garden and I figured I'd write a recap of what went down this year. This post started to feel like reality TV for plants where I am the Gardenerette and I rate and eliminate or keep each contestant. I think this could be a real thing, where are the TV writers when you need them?  If you're not into plants this will probably be a very boring post, but plants and photos of plants are my favorite things, so onto the boring exciting details!

Spinach: 10/10 
Keeper.  Low-maintenance, loves the shade, grew like a champ, doesn't take up much space.  The only negative I had with this is some of my seed didn't come up.  I suspect wind or a cat confusing my planter box for another type of box (gross) as the culprit.  Anyway, the spinach accepted my rose and will return next year.


Green Beans: 10/10
These gave us our biggest haul and they're still coming.  This is our final rose winner right here.  Definitely coming back next year.


Basil: 10/10
I don't use fresh basil a ton, but it was easy to grow and lasts a long time, which is awesome.  Plus, when I spray it with the hose, the smell is like aromatherapy.  Yum.  Coming back next year.


Peas: 1/10
The peas have always been a problem here.  This year our plants actually got huge and we thought this was the year of the pea triumph, but then all of a sudden, it got too hot and it turned brown, and I think we got fewer pods than last year even.  I may be stupid and try these again with more sun, or I may just have Chris Harrison give me a moment to say my forever goodbyes.

*Not pictured, obviously*

Jalepenos: 3/10
This may change in the last few weeks, but so far we haven't gotten a ton.  I also don't use them a ton either, so they aren't the most economical, but still fun to grow.



Tomatoes: 10/10
Like everyone else this year, our tomatoes have been major slow-pokes, but they grow amazingly here and are very versatile so we'll grow them forever.  This year we grew romas, some type of regular old round one, and grapes.  The romas were the champs this year.


Okra: 2/10
The okra seemed like a good idea, but then I had to ask myself, "What does one do with okra?"  That is a problem.  These grew great, and I tried a few methods to prepare them, but the overall slimyness and weirdoness means back of the limo for you, okra. 



Butternut Squash: 7/10
I love butternut squash more than most things on earth, so I was really excited about growing it.  We just did one plant and it was doing really well until the crazy September wind storms.  I'm still hopeful these will turn out ok.  We have 4 on the vine waiting to finish ripening.



Yellow Squash: 8/10
Easy and since zucchini/squash has now replaced pasta for me, these are critical to my life.  Plus, the overall yield on these is hard to beat.  I am too lazy to go out and get another picture of these, so you'll have to check out the soup I made with them instead. :)


1 comment:

  1. Haha - I love the Bachelor comparison in this.

    I am seriously impressed with your garden! We tried the first year we moved here and got exactly nothing. We haven't tried since because we've been working on our yard, but maybe next year we will. You've given me hope that things can actually grow!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive

About Us

My photo
We enjoy otter pops, vacations, intense board games, house projects, breakfasts together, ridiculous TV shows, analysis of ridiculous TV shows, budgeting, and each other.

Check out my recipe blog!