Thursday, December 5, 2013

The Costco Heist

Never order something from Costco without first verifying that you can actually have a membership.

Sigh.

So I bought some Christmas cards from Costco.  I just logged onto their website and voila, they were ordered for pickup.  Well, we go in to pay and pick them up and find out that our membership expired five months ago, and they never billed us to renew it.  Obviously we only go to Costco once per year.  It so happened that I had a Costco gift card, so problem solved: they'd let us buy the Christmas cards with that.  Crisis averted.

Unfortunately I also ordered a certain present that I need to pick up sometime in the next few weeks.  And unfortunately I only have $6.02 left on my Costco gift card.  And unfortunately renewing my membership does not make financial sense. And unfortunately I've spent too many hours working on this gift to turn back now!  I will find a way to get in that store and make a purchase.

Scott and I have debated what to do.  Here are our options:

1. Go to Costco.  Track down someone on their way in and ask them to go with us to buy this item.  Risk rejection.

2. Borrow a card from someone we actually know.

3. Create a barcode that will read a valid membership ID and tape that on the card we currently have. I've created barcodes for work.  How different could it be?

4. Attempt to use my old membership ID from back when I was on my parent's membership.  I have the number.  I'm just not sure if it's valid.  I'm also not sure if the lady at the Costco entrance will accept a number written on a piece of paper as proof that I can enter the facility.

5. Have the worker retrieve the gift and then, while I "search for my Costco card in my purse," Scott will grab the present, throw some cash at the employee, and we will both run for it.

6. Renew our membership so this doesn't happen again next year.



Wish us luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Us

My photo
We enjoy otter pops, vacations, intense board games, house projects, breakfasts together, ridiculous TV shows, analysis of ridiculous TV shows, budgeting, and each other.

Check out my recipe blog!