Saturday, July 21, 2012

A Success Story

Once upon a time I tried to wear contacts. 

It was the 10th grade and needed a driver's license, but I was practically blind in one of my eyes (apparently sometimes people like to drive with only one eye open or while wearing an eye patch, so this was a problem). 

So, I went to the eye doctor, and he prescribed me with one contact lens.  It took me about 30 minutes to put it in the first time, but eventually I was good to go, and I went on my merry way to the DMV.

Anyway, after about a month things started to get weird.  My eye began getting really really red, and it got the point that people began to notice.  Mainly the shady character I sat next to in Driver's Ed who asked if I was on drugs (a legitimate question for someone (me) who looked very much like a ten-year-old at the time). 

So, after that I stopped wearing the contact.  And I was left with a year's supply of unusable right-eye lenses.

A year or two later, I got glasses because my eyes were progressing toward blindness, and a year or so after that I thought, "Tons of people wear contacts.  I should try that out again."  So I went to the eye doctor and got two contacts this time.  And I wore them for a few weeks.  And I bought another year's supply.  And shortly after my eyes headed toward drug-lord status yet again.  So I was left with many expensive boxes of garbage.

It was irritating.

Wondering how this story will end?

Well, a few weeks ago I was talking to Scott about the contact saga of my life, and he suggested a few things that I'd never tried while wearing them.  Like phasing them in one hour at a time or using better cleaning solutions. So, I tried these things with my dusty supply of contacts, and now I can successfully wear them for ten hours per day!  I still need to wait a few more weeks before I declare this a complete victory, but it's going pretty well.

If it all works out, someday I will write an inspiring blog post book about pushing through the despair of being too sensitive for contact lenses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

About Us

My photo
We enjoy otter pops, vacations, intense board games, house projects, breakfasts together, ridiculous TV shows, analysis of ridiculous TV shows, budgeting, and each other.

Check out my recipe blog!